Sunday, November 23, 2008

A second failed beginning

I'm currently in the process of teaching some old friends of mine Castles & Crusades. It's not going very well. I think I made too many assumptions: 

  • That they would not enjoy the game
  • That they wouldn't "get" it 
  • That this particular group would be a hack-n-slash group
Now I'm still unsure as to the third one on that list, actually I'm unsure on all of them, but I think I'm having the most trouble with number 3. One in the group is pretty much a hack-n-slasher and doesn't really take it seriously (not that I've given him any reason to). But the other two are still on the fence. So I think I'm not going to bring my stuff over next time I go for game night (I'm itching for a game of Killer Bunnies anyway) and just talk to them about what they would like to get out of this game. Is it just a simple distraction for them? Do they just want to kill things and take their stuff? Do they want to focus on character development? I really needed to ask these questions BEFORE we started playing, but I think we're early enough along that I can retcon anything I need to into it. 

Being only the second time I've taught a group how to play roleplaying games, I should really give myself some lee-way and not go so hard on myself, but I can't help it. I think a large part of the problem is that I still have a huge stigma with talking about gaming to non-gamers. I wish I could feel more comfortable with it, but feeling uncomfortable about this is a reflex reaction at this point and it's going to take some time to work through that. So I'll try to talk with them a little bit about roleplaying and what they'd like to get out of it and go from their. Maybe help them flesh out their characters a bit and see what they think. 

No comments: